Thanksgiving is the holiday when you’re so full that you can’t eat anymore, but there is still a ton of food. Clean up time can be intimidating with the heaps of food you have to put away. If you don’t want to be eating leftover mashed potatoes everyday for a week, we have a solution!
Cheesy potato muffins are the way to go! This recipe makes it easy to prepare these muffins and freeze them for whenever you need a quick bite.
Thank you to the Idaho Potato Commission and Anushree Shetty for sharing this!
Here’s what you need to do:
- Cooking spray as needed
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup spinach, finely chopped
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/4 cup green onions, finely chopped
- Salt as needed
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 1/2 cups leftover mashed Idaho® potatoes
- 1/4 cup mozzarella or sharp cheddar, shredded
- Sour cream for topping, optional
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Grease the muffin pan with cooking spray or butter. Set aside.
- Beat the eggs till the egg whites and yolks are well combined.
- Add the eggs along with chopped spinach, cheddar cheese, green onions, salt and pepper to the mashed potatoes. Mix until well combined.
- Scoop the potato-egg mixture into the prepared muffin tins filling the cups a little over 3/4 full. Smooth out the top using a spoon.
- Bake 25-35 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove the muffins from the oven and sprinkle each with a cheese topping of your choice.
- Return muffins to oven and continue to bake for 2 minutes, or until the cheese melts.
- Remove from the oven and let cool in the pan for 5-10 minutes before carefully removing them.
- Serve with a dollop of sour cream and finely chopped green onions.
Simple and delicious! For the full recipe created by Anushree Shetty and some further tips, check out Idaho Potato’s recipe guide here: https://idahopotato.com/recipes/leftover-mashed-potato-muffins
Have a Happy Thanksgiving!